MLS Library Sciences 2009
Emporia State University, Emporia, Kansas (Oregon distance program)
BA Interdisciplinary Linguistics & Psychology 1997
Reed College, Portland, Oregon.
Community College of Vermont
|2014 – Present||Reference and Web Design Librarian|
|2010 – 2014||Public Services Librarian|
- Develop and oversee web resources for the Hartness Library (serving CCV’s 12 Academic Centers across the state as well as Vermont Technical College). This includes development and management of the main library website (built in Joomla) and library-developed tutorials and learning objects. Assist with management of the library’s subscription databases, discovery platform (EBSCO Discovery Service), subject & course guides (LibGuides), and other third-party tools and resources. Coordinate with CCV and Vermont State Colleges IT staff on library technology infrastructure. Chair the library’s Website Committee.
- Provide library support to online, hybrid, and in-person classes through CCV’s Embedded Librarian program. Work with individual faculty to integrate library content and learning objects into their courses.
- Provide online, chat, email, phone, and SMS reference services to the CCV & VTC college communities.
- Act as the Liaison Librarian for CCV’s Science & Allied Health and Technology programs. Coordinate development of library collections and resources in these subject areas and work with faculty and program committees to integrate library resources and information literacy instruction into the curriculum.
- Help coordinate college-wide strategy in the adoption and use of learning technologies (course management systems, e-portfolio software, learning object repositories, e-textbooks, open educational resources, etc.). Served on the CCV Teaching and Learning Technologies Committee (August 2012 – August 2014).
Lyndon State College
|Multiple contracts: 2015 – 2016||Library Web Design Consultant/Developer|
- Customized WordPress theme for new library website. Trained Lyndon librarians on WordPress maintenance and editing website content.
- Developed custom widget-builder to allow faculty to integrate of library resources into LMS.
Portland State University
|2009 – 2010||Temporary Distance Learning Librarian|
- Developed and implemented a flexible and extensible infrastructure for the creation, management, and presentation of modular library learning objects (built using Dokeos). Created interactive learning objects to address foundational information literacy and library skills and program-specific content for PSU online degree programs (in Dokeos and using Adobe Captivate).
- Developed recommendations, best practices, and training materials to support online library instruction efforts by library faculty and staff.
- Worked with the School of Extended Studies and individual departmental programs to support library services for online education and to identify opportunities for collaboration and resource sharing in the delivery of online instruction.
- Provided backup to public service librarians in reference and course-integrated library instruction duties.
|2007 – 2008||Digital Library Assistant|
- Assisted in day-to-day management of the Digital Library (built in Greenstone) and online collaborative systems (built in Jive ClearSpace) for Mercy Corps, an international humanitarian organization with over 3,500 employees in 35 countries. Added, cataloged, updated, and archived library documents; created and edited document metadata; managed users; managed collaborative spaces; and coordinated data between systems.
- Trained users in the effective use of library resources. Developed and maintained interactive online trainings and help documentation.
- Helped develop and implement organization-wide information management policies and procedures. Collaborated with staff across the organization to create and maintain functional information resources (Sharepoint, Drupal).
- Assessed system software use patterns and helped plan and implement the future development of Mercy Corps’ technological infrastructure in conjunction with the Digital Librarian and the IT staff. Tested and troubleshot software upgrades to ensure system stability and interoperability. Worked with software developers and IT staff to address bugs and implement new features.
|2005 – 2007||Senior Online Survey Analyst|
|2003 – 2005||Online Survey Analyst|
- Managed day-to-day operations for Tercent, Inc., including overseeing all support, billing, and sales for the company’s online survey platforms. Developed and implemented scalable support protocols and tools. Consulted with clients on development and implementation of online research projects, maintained the company’s technological infrastructure, and managed Tercent staff work on client projects, customer support, and technological issues. Upon sale of SuperSurvey (Tercent’s main survey system), trained and oriented new support staff.
- Coordinated with Tercent’s engineering staff on development, deployment, and marketing of new online products. Prepared and managed support documentation for existing and new services.
- Pursued primary research projects in online survey use. Prepared online white papers analyzing metadata from the SuperSurvey system and provided recommendations for best practices.
CIS 1141 – Introduction to Website Development (Community College of Vermont) both fully online and in a traditional classroom format. (2011 – Present)
2014 Distance Library Services Conference Program Advisory Board (2012 – 2014).
ACRL DLS Instruction Committee (2012 – 2014)
SLA Student and Academic Affairs Council (SAAC) (2009 – 2011)
Local & Regional
ACRL-NE (New England) Conference Planning Committee/ACRL-NE Vermont Virtual Conference Coordinator (2012 – present)
Vermont Library Association Health Information Round Table (2012 – present)
Oregon Library Association Oregon Authors committee (2008 – 2010) Technology Manager (2009 – 2010): Responsible for maintenance and development of the Oregon Authors website (http://www.oregonauthors.org).
Web Designer, Oregon Reads 2009 (November 2007 – January 2010): Created and maintained the Oregon Reads 2009 website.
Emporia School of Library and Information Management – Oregon’s Student Chapter of the ALA (SLIM-OR SCALA) President (2008 – 2009) Webmaster (2007 – 2008)
Community College of Vermont College Council (2014 – present)
Community College of Vermont Library Circulation Coordinator Search Committee (2014)
Community College of Vermont Learning Technologies Committee (2012 – 2014)
“Keep them on your website! Integrating third-party tools to provide a consistent user experience.” Presentation at Let’s Talk about the Web, a conference presented by the Vermont Library Association’s College and Special Libraries Section. Barre, Vermont, October 23, 2014.
“Use of an open-source CMS for as an infrastructure for creation and presentation of modular, LMS-integrated library learning objects.” Poster presented at the Fifteenth Distance Library Services Conference, Memphis, Tennesee, April 18-20, 2012. (Abstract available at http://ocls.cmich.edu/conf2012/presentations.php.)
“So You Want to be a Librarian?” Panel discussion at Reed College Paideia, Portland, Oregon, January 11, 2010. Invited Speaker.
Featured panelist. Oregon Special Library Association Student Reception, Portland, Oregon, April 25, 2009. Invited speaker.
“Knowledge Management in a Global Organization.” Guest lecture on knowledge management at Mercy Corps presented to the Global Information Infrastructure class at Emporia State University, Portland, Oregon, February 14, 2009. Invited speaker.
“Mercy Corps Clearspace: The implementation and use of an online collaborative workspace in a distributed global organization.” Presentation at Online Northwest 2009, Corvallis, Oregon, February 13, 2009. (Abstract and PowerPoint available at http://www.ous.edu/onlinenw/2009/program.html#braunhamilton.)
“Mercy Corps Clearspace.” Poster presented at Sofia 2008: Globalization and the Management of Information Resources, Sofia, Bulgaria, November 12, 2008.
Do-It-Yourself Usability Testing. Library Juice Academy, October 2012.
CIS 2140 – Introduction to Web Programming. Community College of Vermont, Spring 2011.
Emporia Diversity Initiative Leadership Institute. February 2010.
Instructional Design for Online Teaching and Learning. ACRL Online Seminar, October 2009.
Maintenance, troubleshooting, and customization of complex database-driven web applications (PHP, Mysql).
Information architecture and taxonomy creation for large-scale websites.
Web usability and accessibility best practices. Large-scale usability testing.
Web Analytics (Google Analytics/Google Tag Manager) and data driven design refinement.
Learning Management Systems (Moodle, Blackboard), including the use and creation of LMS-integrated learning objects.
Development of video-based learning objects and screencasts (Adobe Captivate, Camtasia, Jing, ViewletBuilder).
Use and setup of virtual reference systems (LibraryH3lp, OCLC QuestionPoint, Spark, Meebo, Digsby).
Setup and management of library catalogs and electronic resources (CUFTS, GODOT, SIRSI Symphony, Innovative Interfaces Millennium, SerialSolutions, ILLiad, Greenstone Digital Library, many library subscription databases). Customization and integration of third party user interfaces.
Working knowledge of XML. Familiarity with Dublin Corps and MARC metadata schemas.
Business (Microsoft Office, OpenOffice) and design (Adobe Creative Suite, GIMP, Sound Forge, Audacity) software.
Hardware, software, and network troubleshooting of Windows-based systems. User level knowledge of MacOS, and UNIX/LINUX systems (including basic server administration).
Comfortable with a wide variety of online technologies and services and their uses within academic and library settings.
LANGUAGES & CULTURE
Experience working in multicultural environments and collaborating with people from diverse backgrounds.
Native English speaker. Working knowledge of Spanish and cultural familiarity with Mexican and Central American populations. Basic familiarity with Russian.